Wednesday 4 June 2014

Love and music

The last post was about food, so now it’s time for music. These are definitely my two passions ;)

And talking about passion, I never told you how me and my BF met. It was over three years ago, at another musician’s rehearsal at a London studio. He was there, tucked into the corner of a dilapidated sofa, quietly strumming his 7-string guitar. When we first started talking, he thought I was Portuguese. I wished he’d thought I was Brazilian but there was no way this paulistano* was going to take my attempted carioquês** for truly native… Oh well. It didn’t stop us from deciding to rehearse together with the view to maybe performing at some point. And believe it or not, it took us three months to take it to another level, although I still sometimes wonder whether this whole guitar trick wasn’t meant to seduce me in the first place. Bottom of the line is: it did, both romantically and musically; the latter is what I want to talk about.

A few guests appearances here and there, a number of intimate shows during our stay in Brazil, a performance in Prague… Little by little we were gaining ground. Winning London over is another kettle of fish, so we’ve been working really hard for the past year or so and finally it seems that all this effort is beginning to pay off. We’ve played at a few private events, wine tasting sessions, somewhere in Soho (but the place does not deserve attention so I won’t mention the name), and we are now getting regular gigs. Phew.

We decided to call our duo Polka Nova, which is a play on me being Polish and our main music style – bossa nova, as you might have figured out, served as the main course. We mix it with generous amounts of samba, lightly seasoned with some zesty jazz. See, I can’t even talk about music without thinking of food! It’s mostly covers of timeless classics and traditional songs that resonate with many Brazilians and non-Brazilians alike. But let me stop this babbling and let you get a taste (!) of our music on your own:


If you like it, then the next stop is to visit our facebook page and let us know by clicking the ‘like’ button. I will love you for this eternally. www.facebook.com/PolkaNovaLondon
And if you get so excited as to want to follow us on Twitter as well, we are here:

Ok, done with this advertising!

* paulistano is someone who lives in the city of São Paulo, as opposed to the state of São Paulo; then it’s paulista

**accent from Rio de Janeiro 

No comments:

Post a Comment