Wednesday 8 February 2012

To-do list

I had another dream that I went back to Europe. No, no, no, it can’t be, I’m definitely still in Brazil! – I thought soberly, my mind still sleeping. Is it my subconscious poking me?  The first thing I did when I woke up was grab a pen and some paper. Number one: Carnival. Ha, that’s what it’s all about! I just can’t imagine being in Brazil at this time of the year and not taking part in the biggest party on earth. Last year’s visit to Rio when, having seen all the preparations and the frenzy at Sapucaí*, I had to pack my bags and fly back to London (to teach my otherwise wonderful students) was painful enough. As I’m a member of a samba school in London, I see it almost as my obligation to get some first-hand experience at the roots of this whole madness. Trouble is, I don’t have the ticket yet, the main reason being I’m still hesitating between staying in São Paulo (acceptable) or going to Rio (ideal). The second option would mean using up probably all my savings, IF I manage to find a place to stay in Rio at all. I have contacted all my friends there asking for help and some floor space, but they either skilfully evaded my request or opted for “I’m-too-busy-to-reply” attitude. Thanks guys. Well, I guess I’ll just leave it till the last minute. Any useful comments or advice welcome.

Number two: samba school rehearsals. I just can’t seem to let it go, can I. Musically, carnival samba is not the highest form of art, I admit (and foresee a wave of protests), given that you can’t always understand what the puxadores** are singing and most enredos** are rather repetitive. The truth is, however, that this form of samba irradiates so much energy that your hair stand on ends at the first beats of the (many) drums, your hips start to shake un- or controllably and a stream of electricity spirals around your body enveloping it in an almost sensual pleasure. At least that’s my experience (from London, which doesn’t count, and Mangueira last year in Rio). Apparently, those rehearsals can be greater fun that the parade itself, as they allow for a more hands-on participation. Well, I can’t compare, knowing only one side, and I definitely do not intend to have my hands on anybody...

Number three: blocos of street carnival. This is getting boring. In the weeks preceding the carnival, revellers can join dozens of street parties, less ostentatiously glamorous and more relaxed than the samba schools. Well, what can I say. I’m going to jump on the bandwagon and if you happen to be in São Paulo, you can join me:

Number four: the beach. Finally changed the topic. What?? You still haven’t been to one?! Don’t ask. Let’s just say it wasn’t my priority. No bikini shots planned either.

Number five: anything that springs up and is worth my time (and money). I really don’t want to bore you with my never-ending wishlist.

*Sambadrome Marquês de Sapucaí or simply Sambadrome where all the samba school parade at the carnival in Rio.
** singers singing samba enredo – the carnival theme song

No comments:

Post a Comment